February 18, 2013
Game of the Day: No. 13 Ohio State vs. No. 20 Wisconsin (1:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
The Big Ten has routinely made for the best matchups on Sunday over the past few weeks and does not disappoint this time, either. Deshaun Thomas and the Buckeyes meet a Wisconsin team that has finally and deservedly cracked the Top 25.
The key for Ohio State offensively is getting Thomas help and keeping him from having to score more than about 25 percent of their overall points. This means Lenzelle Smith, Jr., Sam Thompson, Aaron Craft, and the emerging LaQuinton Ross need to contribute, or else Thomas is left to shoulder too much of the load.
It won't be that simple on the road at the Kohl Center. Wisconsin is 179-17 in the past 12 seasons in that building. Even up three points in the final seconds, the lead is not safe. Just ask Michigan.
Expect it to be another bruising Big Ten matchup as the conference jockeys for postseason position.
Who's Getting Upset?: Minnesota (-1.5) vs. Iowa (2:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
Iowa has hung around until the final minutes with a number of quality Big Ten schools, including Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State. For that reason, they're a trendy upset pick. The biggest battle for the Hawkeyes Sunday will be on the glass, where both teams rank in the nation's Top 20. A win would add to a postseason resume.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Wichita State vs. Illinois State (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Wichita State has bounced back from a three-game losing streak with two straight wins, but they have no easy task Sunday against Illinois State. The entire Missouri Valley is a threat on any given night, as evidence by Indiana State's loss to Bradley last night and Creighton narrowly avoiding a fourth straight loss by coming back to beat Evanville.
The Shockers need to get Cleanthony Early and Carl Hall involved. During that three-game losing streak, their failure to get into the offensive flow was perhaps the biggest problem. Illinois State will be looking to future pro Jackie Carmichael, who had a dominating 27-point, 13-rebound game against Bradley his last time out.
Five Things to Watch For
1) No. 3 Miami remains undefeated in ACC play and should be able to keep up its winning ways Sunday against Clemson. The Hurricanes had some trouble fending off Florida State in their last game before getting the win, but expect Shane Larkin to have another strong outing to follow his 22-point performance vs. FSU.
2) No.4 Michigan ran into a perfect storm in their big loss to No. 8 Michigan State on Tuesday. Take a very good Spartans team, put Michigan on the road, and put that game at the end of a brutal four-game stretch in the Big Ten, and double-digit losses like that can happen. They should bounce back Sunday against Penn State.
3) No. 9 Arizona has lost two games in a row and dropped from first in the Pac-12 into third at the moment. In those losses to Cal and Colorado, one key problem sticks out: three-point shooting defense. That means Arizona will have to keep an eye on the Utes' shooters, including senior Jarred DuBois, who has a tendency to be hot and cold from behind the arc.
4) No. 12 Louisville responded to a five-overtime loss to Notre Dame with a good home win over St. John's. Big East bottom dweller USF affords the Cardinals a chance to make it two straight wins. Despite the chance for a blowout, its worth watching Louisville guard Peyton Siva match up with South Florida guard Anthony Collins.
5) California has notched two straight quality wins, coming against Arizona and UCLA. They need to avoid a trap game loss to USC Sunday before they head to face No. 23 Oregon. The Bears Bay Area foes, Stanford, lost to the Trojans and hurt their NCAA tournament hopes this week. Cal hopes to avoid the same fate.
The Top 25
No. 3 Miami vs. Clemson (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
No. 4 Michigan vs. Penn State (12:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
No. 9 Arizona vs. Utah (3:00 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Networks)
No. 12 Louisville vs. South Florida (1:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 13 Ohio State vs. No. 20 Wisconsin (1:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
Other Notable Games
Minnesota vs. Iowa (2:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
James Madison vs. Delaware (7:30 p.m. ET)
Illinois vs. Northwestern (7:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
Wichita State vs. Illinois State (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
California vs. USC (10:00 p.m. ET, Fox Sports Net National)
Daniel Martin is a writer and editor at JohnnyJungle.com, covering St. John's. You can find him on Twitter:@DanielJMartin_